Kol Nidre.


It is Sunday evening. 

 

Erev Yom Kippur in the year 5787.

 

2026 in the secular calendar.

 

Back from Kol Nidre services.

 

Reminded how special this night is. 

 

The sorrow notes from the cello filled the sanctuary.

 

The operettic voice of the Cantor and choir. 

 

Pulled at my mind and heart strings. 

 

 

Acknowledging that I am not perfect.

 

Nor have always acted in the best way.

 

As much as I have tried to live a righteous life.

 

In these trying times.

 

Of hate and antisemitism. 

 

 

Striving every day.

 

To be a loving partner, father, and grandfather.

 

A good friend and a good person. 

 

I constantly think about the decades away from synagogue. 

 

Am I doing enough to live a life Adonai would want me to live?

 

 

Avinu Malkeinu!

 

The Hebrew words from that beautiful prayer.

 

Are sung from my heart. 

 

Like a breath of air leaving my lungs. 

 

When the song finishes. 

 

A weight has been lifted from my being.

 

 

I look down at my son and smile proudly.

 

For I am reminded.

 

That Judaism is first and foremost about.

 

Ahava and Shalom.

 

Love and Peace.

 

And Yom Kippur is about Selichah. 

 

Forgiveness.  

 

 

For we need to have the ability. The strength.

 

To forgive ourselves. 

 

As Adonai forgives us on this Holy Day. 

 

This Day of Atonement. 

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Antisemitism In 21st Century America

Dear Dad

Where Is Heaven?